The future of Teaching and Learning through Photography: Tanzania depends on the success of the art auction at Steven Kasher Gallery. Any funds raised from the auction will be used for the following purposes:
- Help print and distribute enough TLTP teaching materials to supply all Secondary Schools in Tanzania
- Create a website which will offer a TLTP Guidebook
- Train student teachers at the University of Dodoma in the TLTP methodology and follow them out into the field to evaluate their progress and the success of the methodology.
- Capacity-building work for UDOM professors who will teach TEACHING AND LEARNING THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY (A course for 2nd Year Bachelor of Arts with Education students, School of Humanities – University of Dodoma) See full description below
- Launch of the semester-long mandatory course for Humanities and Education students, later follow-up assessments to evaluate their performance in the field
- Purchase equipment and supplies to create a lab for student teachers to create their own visual teaching materials
Description of TLTP Course at University of Dodoma, Tanzania
TEACHING AND LEARNING THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY (TLTP)
(A course for 2nd Year Bachelor of Arts with Education students, School of Humanities – University of Dodoma)
AD 221: TEACHING AND LEARNING THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY (TLTP) : 10 CREDITS
This course provides basic knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning through photography. It is built upon an understanding that photography, as an art, promotes participation in teaching and learning and hence, puts the learner at the centre of the learning process. As a teaching and learning methodology, students will be imparted with knowledge and skills in reading and interpreting pictures, using pictures in teaching and learning, preparations and production of photos as teaching and learning materials, and techniques to use locally available photographic materials in teaching and learning processes. Students will also be able to get an overview of the different approaches in the use of arts in teaching and learning. The course will enable students to design and use photographs in teaching and learning processes. The course cuts across a number of degree programmes because of its usefulness in different life aspects.
1. To read and interpret pictures.
2. To use TLTP as a teaching/ learning methodology
3. To prepare TLTP learning materials using available resources.
4. To apply participatory approaches in learning.